Ban Phu Citadel

24/05/2015

 

Located in Noong Het Village (Dien Bien District), about 9km West of Dien Bien Phu City lies Ban Phu Citadel. The citadel is the work of General Hoang Cong Chat, who in 1754, led a peasant uprising against the oppressive Trinh Lord of the Le Dynasty and turned away the Phe invaders from the North thereby librating the people of Dien Bien. About 80ha wide, the citadel is made of mud and surrounded by a variety of bamboo sourced from Thai Binh province. Built wide enough for elephants and horses to walk on, the citadel has four gates, each with its own watch tower. Protecting the citadal is a trench, 4–5m wide and deep.